- 5 – 6 beef short ribs , 300-400g/10-14oz each,
- 1.5 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil,
- 3 garlic cloves crushed,
- 1 large onion chopped,
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste,
- 2 cups (500ml) dry red wine,
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock/broth, low sodium
- 2 sprigs thyme (optional),
- 2 bay leaves
1. Sprinkle beef with salt & pepper. Heat oil in large ovenproof pot over high heat. Sear beef very well all over – do in 2 batches. Remove.
2. Lower stove to medium. Cook onion and garlic 2 min, add celery and carrot, cook 5 min. Add tomato paste, cook 1 min.
3. Add wine, broth, thyme and bay leaves, stir. Add beef, bring to simmer then cover with lid. Cook in oven 3 hours at 160C/325F (this is the BEST method), 2.5 hours on stove on low simmer, slow cooker* 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high, pressure cooker *1 hour on high.
4. Beef should be fork tender. Remove carefully so it stays on the bone (it won’t be attached). Strain sauce. Serve ribs over mashed potato or similar with sauce.
* Slow /pressure cooker sauce – strain into large skillet, boil rapidly 10 – 12 min until it reduces and thickens. Optional: spray beef with oil, grill/broil for 5 min for extra browning to replicate oven cooking.